Another year has come and gone, and it is almost time to celebrate the turning of the calendar as we not only enter a new year, but we are about to enter a new decade – the third decade of the 21st century.
Before I toast in the new year with a champagne glass full of Pepsi while kissing my wife at midnight, I pause to reflect on my goals for 2019.
Goals that I met in 2019
Sadly, I did not reach any of my goals in 2019, but it was not because of lack of trying – but I did come close on some of my goals.
Goals that I almost met in 2019
I had set a goal in 2019 to publicly speak six times outside of Toastmasters meetings. I came in at four this year. Not too bad, but next year I hope to do better.
Goals that I missed in 2019
I wanted to complete three more levels in my motivational strategies path in Toastmasters this year. Sadly, I did not complete any levels this year.
I did not write and submit to as many places as I had hoped for in 2019, nor did I earn entrance to the Missouri Writers Guild.
I also fell short on my social media goals.
However, if I am breathing, I still have time to reach those goals and more!
My 2020 goals
I have several goals for the start of the new year/new decade:
- To post 50 blog posts to this site.
- To complete writing my next book
- To read and review more than 60 books in the coming year
- To enter good quality writing to at least six writing contest this year.
- To pitch articles to at least four (if not more) magazines
- To be published either in Success magazine or their web site.
- To guest blog at least three times this year
- To attend and/or have an booth at least four conferences and/or book signing events.
- To speak publicly, outside of Toastmasters, at least five times this year.
My biggest goal for 2020 is to launch #DefineYourself web site (Youcandefineyourself.com). I plan to make this my legacy in life since I do not have any kids. This is going to be a labor of love and my contribution to make this world a better place.
Through my new business venture, my goals are:
- Post up to 100 articles to the site
- Start a podcast.
As you can see, I have some ambitious goals for the coming year. I believe the best way I can ensure the best results in reaching, if not exceeding, all these goals is to resolve the following:
- Be in my office between 7:30 and 8 am every weekday ready to work
- Work a full 8 hour or more day in my office.
- In the evenings read books and expand my knowledge
- Seek out opportunities to promote myself and my new business.
- Become more effective at networking both online and in person.
- Take more calculated risks
- Do not to anything that will sideline me for three months like the great fall I had this year.
Hooray for 2020. When I hear 2020, I think of vision and as far as I am concerned 2020 theme song should be by Timbuk 3 “Future so bright.” That is what I think all our future is for the coming year. If we set goals and create resolutions that will help us achieve our goals.